By Roxanne Reid
Discover vineyards and fruit orchards on foot or within the saddle, take pleasure in a wine tasting or just chill out. Keep at Countless Vineyards and also you’ll uncover these and different issues to do in Botrivier within the Overberg.
Actually it’s not an enormous city centre, only a lodge and a sprinkling of retailers. But it surely has an official wine route and is full of true nation model. We just lately stayed at Countless Vineyards Boutique Lodge on the Wildekrans Wine Property. It’s a peaceable enclave the place you’ll wake to the sound of birds, go for mild walks, drink within the views and watch the solar set in a flush of sweet floss pink.
The cottages overlook the vineyards
Simply over an hour’s drive from the busy centre of Cape City, it’s a world away in environment. When you’re feeling confused and overworked, you’ll be able to unwind and let your rigidity simply fall away.
Outdated labourers’ cottages have been transformed into lodge lodging
The cottage’s lengthy porch is ideal for daydreaming
The lodging is in previous farm labourers’ cottages which have been restored and stuffed with squashy sofas, oak tables, old-style reed ceilings and delicate patchwork quilts.
Muted patchwork within the bed room
Sitting room with double doorways to the porch
There’s a large porch with hearth/braai the place you’ll be able to sit to daydream. Inside, there’s a fridge, range, microwave and every little thing you want for self-catering, although meals can be found if you happen to’d favor to be lazy. They’ll even ship a meal to your cottage.
The kitchen is provided with every little thing you want to self-cater
Surrounded by the Overberg mountains, vineyards and fruit orchards, with ponds, dams and a river close by, it’s exhausting to consider you’re so near the town.
Countless views of vineyards, orchards and mountains
Sit back and chill out or get busy and revel in among the actions on the property and close by, the selection is as much as you.
- Go for a guided stroll by means of the property and be taught in regards to the vineyards, the various kinds of fruits which can be grown right here, like plums and pears, in addition to the pure vegetation. Get pleasure from views of the encircling mountains.
- Saddle up on the horse stables and go horse using alongside a scenic route underneath broad blue skies. The horses are valued members of the Countless Vineyards and Wildekrans household and revel in among the nicest lodging on the property.
Meet the horses and go using on the farm
- Carry your bikes and sort out one or two of the mountain bike trails that cross the property, giving views of the encircling vineyards and orchards. Select your distance from 10km, 21km or 42km.
- If fishing is your factor, you’re in luck – go catch-and-release fishing within the dam on the high finish of the property. I’m not into fishing however I loved the views across the dam. You may even spot some birds within the space.
Go fishing within the dam
- Take a dip within the swimming pool or just chill out on one of many solar loungers within the walled enclosure.
Loosen up on the pool
- Don’t miss having dinner (weekends solely) or lunch at Forage Restaurant on the property. It’s not only a meal however an expertise. There’s a hearth for chilly days and an open hatch to the kitchen so you’ll be able to watch the magic occur.
The stoep at Forage restaurant
Inside Forage, with views out the lengthy home windows on the correct
Forage’s meals is impressed by indigenous and sustainable components foraged within the space and introduced with theatrical aplomb. The menu is complicated and a bit daunting at first as a result of chances are you’ll by no means have met among the components earlier than – suppose protea nectar, river salsify, buchu or anysbos. However crucial half – style – is rarely forgotten. A really completely different expertise foodies will take pleasure in as a lot as we did.
The fantastically introduced meals additionally tastes scrumptious
- Get pleasure from a wine tasting in Wildekrans Wine Property’s welcoming tasting room, the place you’ll be able to sit inside, outdoors on the stoep or in a courtyard. You may style three to 6 wines, together with the intriguing Deep Purple, which is a non-traditional mix of pinot noir, pinotage and cabernet sauvignon. For one thing extra particular, ask to do a wine and fynbos honey pairing.
Wine-tasting at Wildekrans Wine Property
- In case your curiosity in wines goes past the mere tasting of them, do a cellar tour at Wildekrans Wine Property to seek out out what the winemaker will get as much as behind the scenes.
The tasting room at Wildekrans Wine Property
- Plan a rustic wedding ceremony (as much as 300 folks) to benefit from the country-style serenity of the property.
Romantic moonrise at Countless Vineyards Boutique Lodge
The lodge’s breakfast room doubles as a chapel for weddings
- Discover the broader Bot River wine route, which has some ten to 12 estates. We loved a tasting and lunch at Gabrielskloof, and a private tasting with winemaker Niels Verburg at Luddite Wines on the jap slopes of the Houw Hoek mountains. A little bit of a technophobe, he makes his wines in a low-tech method with a lot of hands-on private consideration. The packaging is uncommon (suppose completely different sorts of labels and crown closures for the whites) and the title of one of many ranges, Saboteur, displays his aspiration to be a disrupter. Different wineries within the space embrace Arcangeli, Beaumont, Goedvertrouw and Paardenkloof.
A part of the tasting room at Luddite Wines
- When you’re travelling to or from Cape City, you’ll drive the Houw Hoek Cross, initially constructed again within the 1830s. Benefit from the mountain surroundings, cease for tea or a snack on the Houw Hoek Resort, which dates again to 1779, or on the Houw Hoek Farmstall for one among their well-known hen pies.
- When you’re within the space over a weekend, don’t miss the art-deco themed Elgin Railway Market. The restored previous constructing is a competition of sweeping staircases and metallic archways the place you’ll discover stay music, arts and crafts, clothes, and plenty of good meals, craft gin, wine and hand-roasted espresso.
- When you keep at Countless Vineyards longer than a day or two, make a day-trip to Hermanus, simply 30km away and with tons to do. See 15 issues to do in Hermanus on the Cape Whale Coast.
There’s tons to do at Hermanus, simply 30km away