The Final Information to Koh Lipe
This Koh Lipe information offers you an in depth understanding of the island together with seashores, snorkeling spots, accommodations, bars, and different enjoyable issues to do. I’ll additionally offer you some concepts for nice day journeys across the area like visiting Koh Adang and the opposite small islands close by.
Koh Lipe actually is paradise. I’ve stayed on the island for a couple of month cumulative over the previous 5 years. In truth, it’s in all probability my most visited Thai island now. This island has all the time been wonderful to me, even when it rains.
Do not forget that this isn’t a celebration island. It’s a laid again tropical island within the Andaman Sea the place you will discover vibrant coral reefs and white sandy seashores. There’s extra curiosity in meditation, yoga, and seaside clean-ups than in low-cost cocktail buckets.
Over the previous few years, Koh Lipe has been getting busier because it grows in reputation. In case you are undecided whether or not or not it is best to go, I’d say GO NOW, earlier than it’s too late and it turns into one other overdeveloped island like Koh Phi Phi.
There are some wonderful seaside bungalows like Castaway Resort (my private favourite) however you will want to guide early as they get full fairly rapidly. On the finish of this text, I’ll additionally recommend another nice accommodations in case Castaway Resort is full, or you will have a tighter finances.
The place is Koh Lipe?
Koh Lipe is a small island within the far south of Thailand. It’s about 80km from the coast of Satun Province, and 35km from Langkawi, Malaysia. The closest level on the Thai mainland is Pak Bara the place speedboats depart to the island all 12 months spherical.
The island is a part of the Tarutao Marine Nationwide Park which accommodates 51 islands in whole. Some close by islands are Koh Adang, Koh Rawi, and Koh Tarutao, which will be simply visited too.
Seashores on Koh Lipe
There are three foremost seashores on Koh Lipe together with Sundown Seaside, Dawn Seaside, and Pattaya Seaside. The next part particulars every of those seashores such because the vibe, issues to do, and locations to remain.
There are additionally some hidden seashores across the island which many guests don’t find out about equivalent to Pitiusas Seaside, Secret Seaside, and Bulow Seaside. By no means heard of those? Nice, learn on.
Koh Lipe is sufficiently small which you could stroll to any seaside in beneath one hour. There are some steep hills although, so you can too hop on a bike tuk-tuk for a flat charge of 100 THB (USD 3).
Because the title suggests, that is one of the best place to observe the dawn on Koh Lipe. Dawn Seaside faces east in the direction of the mainland, however you received’t be capable of see that far.
Within the early morning and late afternoon, the seaside is lined with picket longtail boats. The locals use them for fishing and scuba diving journeys across the Koh Tarutao Marine Nationwide Park. In the course of the day the seaside is usually empty of boats.
Certainly one of our favourite locations on Dawn Seaside is Salisa Resort. Their small beachfront bar performs nice deep home music, has good cocktails, and actually chilly beer. It’s a excellent spot for a lazy seaside day.
That is one of the best place on Koh Lipe to observe the sundown, and is my favourite seaside on the island. Even when you don’t keep right here, it is best to positively go to. There are far fewer boats and a a lot nicer coral reef to snorkel with a lot of tropical fish and even turtles.
With just a few small bungalows, Sundown Seaside is much much less developed than Dawn Seaside and Pattaya Seaside. My favourite lodge is the Bayview Sundown Resort which has a tremendous view of the Andaman Sea.
In the event you have been pondering of creating a visit throughout to Koh Adang, Sundown Seaside is the most cost effective place to take action.
I used to be fairly confused once I heard about Pattaya Seaside on Koh Lipe. It made me consider the soiled vacationer city close to Bangkok. Nonetheless, Pattaya Seaside right here is way nicer than the one simply south of Bangkok.
Pattaya Seaside is the island’s foremost arrival level. There are some speedboats departing within the morning and arriving within the afternoon, however it’s in any other case fairly relaxed.
There’s a vary of fundamental bungalows and upscale resorts right here. You’ll find good seafood eating places alongside the seaside close to the Strolling Avenue entrance.
We additionally cherished the Reggae Bar positioned on the far jap finish of the seaside. The Reggae Bar is probably the most chilled out bar on the island, good for a late afternoon beer.
There are some small secret seashores round Koh Lipe’s north and west coasts.
On the north coast, you will discover a small stretch of sand referred to as Bulow Seaside. Proceed across the headland, over the rocks, and past Mountain Resort for just a few hundred meters the place you’ll attain a tiny secret seaside. Right here you’ll get an awesome view trying throughout to Koh Adang. The seaside will triple in dimension at low tide!
There’s additionally one other tiny secret seaside positioned on the far west of the island. It’s positioned past the top of the street that results in Sanom Seaside Resort. You’ll both must take a kayak or longtail boat to this small secret seaside.
Prime Snorkeling Places
You don’t need to go far to seek out one of the best snorkeling spots on Koh Lipe. The island is surrounded by colourful coral and tropical fish. You solely need to swim 50 to 100 meters from the seaside and also you’ll be floating proper excessive of it.
Listed below are our favourite snorkeling spots. We discovered these on the Koh Lipe map obtainable at Pak Bara Pier and outlets on the island.
- Koh Usen – a small island positioned just a few hundred meters off Dawn Seaside. You’ll be able to swim there in 10 minutes, however watch out of the sturdy currents. We propose renting a kayak at Castaway Resort or Mali Resort for about 150 THB per hour. Park your kayak in between the rocks on the east facet of Koh Usen.
- Koh Kra – one other small island off Dawn Seaside, however additional north in the direction of Koh Adang. You’ll be able to kayak right here instantly from Koh Usen, however the journey is shorter from Salisa Resort.
- Sundown Seaside – no kayak wanted, simply swim 50 meters from Bayview Sundown Bungalows and also you’ll discover a good coral reef amongst the rocks. You’ll be able to even stroll midway out right here alongside the rocks, then bounce in proper by the coral.
- Pattaya Seaside – some individuals say it’s good, however we don’t suggest snorkeling right here. There are many sea urchins which I hate!
Try a few of my favourite snorkeling spots and resorts on Koh Lipe in my video!
Koh Lipe has a relaxed nightlife with just a few laid again bars. I’ve included all of the bars I’ve been to however I’m positive there are extra round.
Keep in mind, Koh Lipe isn’t a celebration vacation spot, and I hope it stays that approach. Massive seaside events would kill the small island vibe.
Bars On Strolling Avenue
- Maya Bar – some of the full of life nightlife spots on Koh Lipe. The bar is intricately designed with bamboo and thatch roof to appear to be an enormous bungalow. There are late-night EDM tunes and superior cocktails, although you’ll pay a premium right here.
- Nook Bar – a full of life bar positioned additional down Strolling Avenue on the high of the hill. Nook Bar performs Deep Home tunes on some nights, and hosts dwell music on others. You will want to drop in to see what’s occurring every evening.
- Elephant Bar – a small dwell music bar with common Thai songs. The classic type fit-out jogs my memory of Tak Su Ra which I discussed in my favorite bars in Bangkok.
- The Heaven Bar – positioned on the second stage proper the place strolling road meets Pattaya Seaside. Count on dwell music with country-style Thai songs and Reggae jams every day.
- Sea La Vie – Sea La Vie is owned and operated by the identical individuals behind the favored Maya Bar. This small beachfront bar has a really comparable vibe to the profitable Glad Vibe Bar with deep home tunes taking part in from lunch by means of to late at evening.
- Reggae Bar – a small beachfront hippie shack positioned proper on the sand on Pattaya Seaside. There are low-cost chilly beers and the occasional smoke. That is about as laid again as Koh Lipe’s nightlife will get.
- Castaway Resort – although it’s not your typical bar, that is my favourite place to take pleasure in a powerful low-cost cocktail proper on the seaside, made even cheaper by the 2-for-1 deal from 4pm to 6pm. Significantly, the place else will you get two Mojitos for $5?!
The place to drink low-cost on Koh Lipe? The most affordable place to purchase alcohol is the Massive Sheep Minimart on Strolling Avenue. Koh Lipe is dearer than the mainland and different Thai islands. A small beer prices 100 THB in a bar, and 50 THB in a 7/11 retailer.
Issues to do on Koh Lipe
Though it’s a small island, there are many issues to do in Koh Lipe. Here’s a fast checklist of 10 issues we did in a single week in Koh Lipe:
- Watch the epic sunsets at Sundown Seaside
- Get a Thai therapeutic massage or a foot therapeutic massage. Most locations cost 200 THB for one hour.
- Kayak from Dawn Seaside to Koh Usen or Koh Khra. Kayaks will be rented for 200 THB per hour.
- Snorkel the coral reef off Sundown Seaside
- Eat on the seafood BBQ outlets on Strolling Avenue
- Have a 2-for-1 Thaijito at Castaway Resort throughout joyful hour
- Be a part of a Dawn meditation session on Dawn Seaside
- Stroll throughout the island from Dawn Seaside to Sundown Seaside in about 45 minutes
- Clear up ocean trash on the seaside solo, or be part of Trash Hero Koh Lipe for a group clear up
- Make a day journey to Koh Adang (particulars beneath)
Urged Day Journeys
I discussed there are 51 islands within the archipelago which make up the Tarutao Marine Nationwide Park! Which means you actually need to get out and discover just a few islands within the space.
One of the simplest ways to discover the area is with a snorkeling journey departing from Koh Lipe. There are 4 common snorkeling routes from Koh Lipe. Three of those marked on the map beneath depart within the morning round 9am. The fourth choice is the distinctive Eco Sundown Tour which departs at round noon.
Paradise Excursions additionally affords a snorkeling journey all through the moist season, whereas many different firms are closed. Certain, the water isn’t fairly as clear within the moist season, however nonetheless approach higher than I’ve seen on many different islands.
First, we visited a snorkeling location referred to as Jabang in the course of the ocean the place the coral was about 10 meters deep and the water was tremendous clear. We then continued on to Koh Yang, about 30 minutes from Koh Lipe. The coral at Koh Yang is sort of shallow, solely Three to Four meters deep.
Lastly, we visited Koh Hin-Ngam which is roofed in black stones. It’s utterly totally different than the seashores on Koh Lipe. The island’s story says that when you steal the stones you’ll be cursed by the guardian spirit. On the flip facet, when you can construct a tower of 12 stones or larger, then your needs will come true. Personally, I don’t consider these tales, however I nonetheless don’t suggest stealing the stones both.
Discover Koh Adang
Koh Adang is the massive island proper throughout the water from Koh Lipe. What could look like a tough to discover, uninhabited island, is definitely the castaway paradise you’ve been searching for. It is usually fairly straightforward to get to!
There are two methods of getting from Koh Lipe to Koh Adang; kayak, or longtail boat. We kayaked midway till we realized how massive the waves have been. Though it seems shut, kayaking can take round one hour or extra in case you are unfit.
A longtail boat to Koh Adang is the faster and simpler choice. At Dawn Seaside there’s a stand of native taxi boatmen. The usual worth is 500 THB a technique. The boatman received’t look forward to you there, so make sure to get his telephone quantity or agree a time to be picked up.
On the southern finish of the island, you may attempt climbing up the lookout for a tremendous view over the Andaman Sea, or crawl your approach by means of the jungle to a hidden waterfall. The snorkeling is unbelievable, the seashores are pristine, and the small kitchen by the Nationwide Park makes some nice meals for a fraction of the worth on Koh Lipe.
Additional up the west coast, there are some actually secluded seashores with freshwater lagoons within the forest. The snorkeling off the coast right here is wonderful. A visit up with west coast will prices you 1,200 to 1,500 THB with a taxi longtail boat driver.
Make sure to learn my full information to Koh Adang, which additionally consists of data on how one can camp right here, proper on the seaside!
What’s the Greatest Time to Go to?
There are two foremost seasons within the south of Thailand which you need to be conscious of:
- Moist Season from Might to October. That is the off-season. Throughout this era it may well rain daily for hours on finish. There are a lot fewer vacationers round, many accommodations have cheaper off-season charges, and lots of outlets and bars are nonetheless closed.
- Dry Season from November to April. That is the excessive season. Virtually daily is sunny with little or no to no rain, the ambient temperature is a bit cooler round 25 levels Celcius. There are extra vacationers, and accommodations will cost peak season charges which will be twice as a lot because the off-season charges.
Most of my journeys to Koh Lipe have been in mid-October (shoulder season). The climate forecast confirmed rain and thunderstorms daily however we’ve had principally sunny days. There have been sometimes thunderstorms at evening which deliver a couple of good cool change whenever you need to sleep.
I’d say one of the best time to go to Koh Lipe is mid to late October. The climate will be nice, accommodations cheaper, and much fewer individuals. You do run the chance of the moist season kicking on a bit late although.
Find out how to Get to Koh Lipe
Bangkok to Koh Lipe
We traveled instantly from Bangkok to Koh Lipe with a mixed ticket which incorporates:
- a flight from Don Muaeng to Hat Yai Airport (1.5hrs)
- a minivan from Hat Yai Airport to Pak Bara Pier (2hrs)
- a speedboat from Pak Bara Pier to Koh Lipe (1.5hrs)
You’ll be able to guide the mixed ticket on 12GOAsia.
Flights from Bangkok to Koh Lipe depart at 6.45am. It’s an early begin, however essential to get to succeed in the island in at some point. Within the off-season, you will get a one-way ticket for 1,500 THB. Within the excessive season and public holidays, a one-way ticket can value as much as than 4,000 THB.
Southern Thailand Locations to Koh Lipe
There are boats from many locations in southern Thailand to Koh Lipe and vice versa. Most journeys are inside 2 hours by speedboat.
In the course of the excessive season, boats are sometimes absolutely booked prematurely. Don’t miss a ticket, guide prematurely. I extremely suggest 12GoAsia (ticket hyperlinks beneath).
- Phuket to Koh Lipe – speedboat tickets from 2,400 THB (USD 80) per individual.
- Koh Lanta to Koh Lipe – speedboat tickets from 1,900 THB (USD 65) per individual.
- Koh Kradan to Koh Lipe – speedboat tickets from 1,250 THB (USD 40) per individual.
- Trang to Koh Lipe – van + ferry tickets from 1,150 TB (USD 38) per individual.
In case you are coming from elsewhere on the mainland, you then’ll simply need to get to Pak Bara Pier within the morning. Speedboat tickets from Pak Bara Pier to Dawn Seaside begin from 550 THB per individual (E book tickets on-line right here). A one-way journey takes about 90 minutes. We usually journey with Bundhaya speedboats.
Langkawi to Koh Lipe
Langkawi is the closest vacation spot in Malaysia to Koh Lipe. In the event you wished to island-hop from Malaysia to Thailand, that is the perfect place to take action.
Speedboats run instantly from Langkawi to Koh Lipe a number of occasions every day. A one-way journey taking simply 1.5 hours. E book tickets on-line right here.
There’s a Malaysian Immigration Workplace in Langkawi, and a Thai Immigration Workplace at Pattaya Seaside, Koh Lipe.
Singapore to Koh Lipe
The quickest technique to get from Singapore to Koh Lipe is taking the morning flight from Singapore to Langkawi (1.5hrs) with AirAsia. Then take the early afternoon speedboat from Langkawi to Koh Lipe. E book tickets on-line right here.
You will want to go immigration first in Malaysia, then once more whenever you attain Koh Lipe.
What are the Greatest Accommodations on Koh Lipe?
In my view, one of the best accommodations on Koh Lipe are Castaway Resort, Serendipity Resort, and Bayview Sundown Bungalows. The issue is that they’re very often full, so attempt to guide early.
I exploit Agoda for all my lodging bookings in Thailand. They’ve one of the best costs with nice reductions too.
Castaway Resort Koh Lipe is positioned on the southern finish of Dawn Seaside. One of the simplest ways to clarify this place is rustic meets consolation. The double-story bungalows line the seaside with hammocks out the entrance, a cushty bed room with balcony upstairs, and the lavatory downstairs.
We stayed in Castaway Resort’s Beachfront Bungalows and cherished waking up watching the dawn. The “Breezy” Backyard View Bungalows go for about half the worth.
The cocktails at Castaway Resort are wonderful, and low-cost, particularly in the course of the 2-for-1 joyful hour. My private favourite is the Thaijito product of; Thai Rum, lime, ginger, brown sugar and soda water. For the meals, I extremely suggest the Thai type nachos constructed from deep-fried wontons, a little bit of Thai Fusion on the seaside.
Services: giant double mattress, double-story bungalow, chilly bathe, fan rooms, beachfront bar, and restaurant, dive store
E book it Now on Agoda: Castaway Resort Koh Lipe
Bayview Sundown Bungalows
Bayview Sundown Bungalows is positioned on Sundown Seaside, Koh Lipe’s quieter seaside. The oceanfront rooms have an enormous view of the Andaman Sea from excessive up on the mountain. There’s significantly no higher technique to benefit from the sundown on Koh Lipe. We stayed within the ocean view bungalow for 2 nights and cherished the views. You’ll be able to go for a backyard view room with a fan as a substitute of aircon to avoid wasting money and nonetheless take pleasure in this wonderful seaside.
The restaurant has some wonderful fusion dishes obtainable. It’s essential to attempt the Teriducki, a teriyaki roast duck topped with ripe mango. Wash it down with the signature Gin-and-Thainic, an Asian spin on the traditional G&T infused with recent lime, lemongrass, and chili.
Services: beachfront restaurant and bar, aircon rooms, free snorkel rent for friends
E book it Now on Agoda: Bayview Sundown Resort
Price range Accommodations
Price range Accommodations on Koh Lipe. There are just a few finances hostels and accommodations on Koh Lipe round Strolling Avenue. Attempt The Avenue Hostel positioned about 100 meters from the beginning of Strolling Avenue the place dorms begin from 490 THB within the off-season.
Within the off-season, you can be nice to stroll in and make a reserving. Nonetheless, throughout excessive season I’d recommend reserving all accommodations on Koh Lipe prematurely. Accommodations are as a rule booked out weeks prematurely.
Different Prime Accommodations
There are just a few nice seaside bungalows and boutique accommodations on Koh Lipe. I’ve truly written this information on the highest 7 accommodations in Koh Lipe. There are alternatives on the three foremost seashores; Pattaya Seaside, Dawn Seaside, and Sundown Seaside, but additionally just a few positioned additional across the island in additional secluded locations. Make sure to test it out and let me know what your favourite choice is.
Discovered this information helpful? Sharing is caring!
Need the right Thai island hopping journey? Let me provide help to plan your Thai getaway
The submit The Final Koh Lipe Information (2020 Replace) appeared first on The Misplaced Passport.